From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:22:13 -0400
Robert asks "Could you have wax in your house somewhere, in a suitable state
to feed
waxworms?"
 Waxworms do not eat or consume wax. Instead, they damage wax while
tunneling to eat proteins included with the wax. Mostly, the cocoons left
when bees emerge from cells but also pollen.
 I have seen very tiny live moths two years after the last food was
available. I speculate that they were so small because there was little
protein available to them as larvae. Nonetheless, they were capable of
laying eggs that developed into full size larvae when they had a protein
source.
 I don't know whether waxworm larvae can live on protein sources other than
cocoons and pollen, but perhaps someone else on the list can enlighten us.
 Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.