From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:38:13 -0500
Hello Bob -

> I guess I will not be seeing the above phenomona with the SMR line because
> varroa does not reproduce in SMR bees  cells.

This has yet to be shown to be true by Mr. and Mrs. beekeeper. I doubt very
much that you will see this because it has only been noticed with bees on a
much smaller cell size than what you and most everyone else in the States
are use to working with. I'm very encouraged to see this 'hygienic' behavior
taking place now amongst other beekeepers and not just the Lusby's. I also
believe it's another point that goes a long way in debunking the idea that
the Lusby's success is strapped to the back of AHB. Otherwise, the African
gene is far more common in our bee stock than some want to admit to.

I hope we get a good feedback from the SMR people on the signs and progress
they encounter.

Regards,
Barry