From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 08:38:22 -0500
Many years ago I read of studies at a university that compared extracted
weights from identical supers with 10, nine and eight frames.   They proved
that hives with nine frames held more than those with 10 frames, and hives
with eight frames held more honey than those with nine frames.  I cannot
provide a reference.

I have long used eight frames in my extracting supers and can tell you from
personal experience that supers with eight frames full of honey weigh
considerably more than the same size supers with either nine or 10 frames.
However, I no longer use spacers and instead set the spacing by eye when I
put the supers on the hive.  This might not be practical if hired help is
used.

Please keep in mind:
1-  Foundation cannot be properly drawn with only eight frames in a super.
My experience is that it is best to draw foundation with 10 frames in a
super, although in a good flow it is possible to draw good foundation with
nine frames in a super.
2-  Spacers provide good space for wax moth larvae to escape attention by
the bees.  This is likely to be a problem only in those areas with long cold
winters.
3-  Spacers make it impossible to keep supers free of propolis as the frame
rest cannot be scraped.

If you will provide an address I will be glad to mail you an eight-frame
spacer.  It should be easy to get someone to make them out of aluminum.

Best regards,

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.