From:
Robt Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:50:47 +1200
Tim Sterrett wrote:
>    Allergies are often to wind-carried pollens: oak, grasses (orchard,
>redtop), plantains, and ragweeds.  These pollens probably enter the hive in
>currents of air and could end up in honey, just as they end up in our
>respiratory passages.

        The fact that a given plant species (e.g maize) is not dependent on
bees or other pollinator classifies it as 'wind-pollinated".  But it does
not follow that bees refrain from gathering this pollen as food.  This
deliberate gathering by bees can augment, or overwhelm, the transfer on the
wind that Tim mentions.         In some circumstances, quite a large
proportion of the pollen in honey could be of this category.