From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:19:57 -0700
> Since the quarantine imposed in New
> South Wales was lifted in November 2002, this would mean that
> other countries would be well within their rights to assume that all
> of Australia was "infected".  The fact that it is impossible for all
> of New South Wales, let alone the entire continent, to be infected at
> this time would be "irrelevant".

That is true, but the question remains, exactly what areas *are*
infected, or may be infected?  How can we know?  Who can we trust?  What
distance ensures reaasonable safety from the pest?  What is reasonable
risk?

> I think that everyone needs to cut the Australians some slack on this.

That is true, and I think Canada is cutting Australia a lot of slack,
after all AFAIK, Canada has an open border to Australian queens and
packages at present.  It is a matter of trust though, and if there is
not or has not been full disclosure, that trust may be misplaced.

Having said that, I understand that US and Canadian people are over in
Aus, assessing the situation and, besides, some time will pass before
any imports will take place, so there is time for change in policy.
March is the earliest I expect that packages and queens will be coming
this way.

It is entirely possible that this entire matter is of no import, but
what concerns me is that the first we heard of this is from a chance
comment from someone who just happened to be in Australia, and just
happened to see a sample of the beetle, and just happened to see the
difference.

Without full disclosure and public knowledge of the facts, how can the
industry be expected to give intelligent input to a decison that may
have significant impact on beekeepers.  Perhaps we can trust this to the
Powers That Be, but maybe not.  IMO, the more people thinking about
this, the better.  Our CFIA recently allowed SHB infested comb into
Canada.  AFAIK this was without the knowledge of the bee industry as a
whole, and the news took our national and provincial bee organisations
by surprise.

Although efforts were made subsequently to eliminate and contain the
pest outbreak, we will not know the extent of the damage from this error
in communication and judgement for some time.  That episode does really
make one wonder about our watchdogs, though.  CFIA defends our borders
against easy import of superior, mite and disease resistant bee stock
from the USA at great cost to many in our industry and economy, and at
the same time has casually allowed a serious pest into Canada to satisfy
a small business that makes only a minor contribution to our industry
and economy.  What to think?  Can they be trusted on this Australian
situation?

As a Canadian, I do not want my country to take chances on bringing a
new pest to our continent that *might* be no real problem here, but
could migrate south to be a pest to our good neighbours in the USA.

I agree we have to be fair minded and even handed in these
deliberations, but we also have to be careful who we trust, and make
sure that all the cards are on the table.  I hate surprises.

allen
www.honeybeeworld.com