From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:57:47 -0500
Brian said:
>Maybe with TM I can agree with that, but the half life of Tylan I'm not so
>sure.

I have to agree with Brain on the points he made. I DO NOT use tylan. Many
beekeepers are using tylan against the label.

Tylan is allowed ONLY to treat active AFB. Not as a preventative.

Also the method approved by the USDA-ARS ( explained by Jeff Pettis) is in
powder form (similar to the way terramycin is applied) and NOT in syrup.

As an avid reader I quickly noticed the half life of tylan and thought wow!

*If* you might not have the terramycin resistant AFB then perhaps terra is a
better choice.

The whole AFB resistant to terra thing is a big gray area.  Some commercial
beekeepers never bought into the idea and still use terra and the product
still works.

I see almost no AFB in my yards but have been able to cure with terramycin.

I might add that I am asked for advice on beekeeping almost daily which I
give freely. However many beeks only go as far as asking and then return to
the old ways.

I do not want to see tylan banned from the beekeepers tool chest but wish
beekeepers would follow the guidelines Jeff Pettis set.

bob