From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:52:24 +0900
Tom Barrett writes:

>I have recently come across the following headings used by a Queen Breeder
>to assess his queens for breeding purposes.
>
>1. Docility (non Jumping, Non Stinging, Non Following)
>2. Steadiness On Comb (Absence Of Running)
>3. Brood Pattern (Compactness Of Brood, Absence Of Empty Cells)
>4. Pollen Storage (Pollen Packed Over, Around And Under The Broodnest)
>5. Comb Building (Speed In Occupying Supers, Drawing Foundation, Honey
>Storage    And Quality Of Comb Capping)
>
>Each heading is given a rating of 0 to 5.
>
>Strangely enough there is nothing in the list about foraging ability.

Presumably the breeder queens have been selected from the production hives
on the basis of the honey produced.  The assessment is then based on
additional factors.  I would tend to rate the first 3 factors as more
relevant than the final 2. After some years of queen breeding, I understand
(not having reached this stage myself) that it becomes difficult to
distinguish the best and points 4 and 5 may then be worth taking into
consideration INMHO.

Betty McAdam.
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.on.net/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html