From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:59:28 -0400
for years I have been sterilising 2nd hand equipment using a blow
lamp

Joe, I built a hot tank 25 years ago to weatherproof and/or sterilize
woodenware.  It holds a deep super easily, and is filled with 2-3 parts
paraffin and 1 part pine rosin, heated to 350°F.  Temperature drops if
you're processing quickly, but is fine down to about 250°F.  The woodenware
bubbles like french fries in hot grease, then absorbs the wax/rosin when you
pull it out.

I have racks that hold 10 super sides for dipping before assembly.  I never
paint anything.  The hot tank treatment is completely weather and rot proof
for several years (Calif) then back into the tank for a redip.  Same for AFB
equip.

I've treated literally thousands of supers, lids, bottoms over the years.
Would never go back to paint.

Frames dip fine without wet combs or plastic foundation, but are a pain to
scrape--I usually toss.

Tank is relatively easy to build if you can weld and are handy.  I can send
photos if you wish.  Uses element and Tstat of elect oven to heat.  Little
fire danger if not used carefully--I've got tons of experience (a little
fire danger goes a long way)!

Randy Oliver
Calif
Hot tank