From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:17:41 -0500
> We are trying to determine how to construct an outside tank for storage of
> high fructose corn syrup.

We went thru that and we now just use 1250 imperial gallon poly water tanks
designed for agriculture use. They sit on the ground outside anywhere we
fell like putting them.   They are cheap and UV resistant.

We add 10% of the expected volume in water in advance of receiving HFCS
syrup and it mixes adequately when filling into the tank to ensure no
granulation problem later.  We use city water because it is reasonably
sterile.  Over months, if ambient temperatures are warm, there can be some
risk of fermentation, so syrup must be watched.  Starting with clean tanks
and clean water is a good idea.  If the syrup is not diluted below 67%
solids, any fermentation should be very slow and action can be taken to save
the syrup.   More dilute syrup will ferment more quickly.  We currently have
one tank (diluted to 67%) left over that we have kept since spring 2002 and
it is fine.  We had 30 to 40 degree C days for weeks this summer.

You can read more at my diary site.  Sorry.  I don't have time to look to
see exactly where, but pictures and discussion are available there.  We
usually get syrup in April/May and in October.  March 31st, 2000, Oct 1,
2002 and April 9, 2001 are some dates I found, but there are more and better
pages somewhere in the diary.

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/