From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:45:34 -0500
Is it correct that resistance to Apistan is now widespread in the USA and
that resistance to Coumaphos is in at least four states?

* I think this is true, I don't know if it is documented, but I have seen
Apistan resistance here in NY so I believe it is widespread.

I recently hear that all states that have a Section 18 exemption in place
will be able to treat with ApiLife VAR  in the Spring of 2003.

Please forgive a foreigner's lack of knowledge of USA regulations, but I
understand that Section 18 exemption has to do with the registration of
Coumaphos as a response to the failure of Apistan/Bayvarol to control
varroa.

* Section 18 means that a specific product has been exempted by the
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from their usual requirements.
Normally, a product is tested, approved and give and EPA registration
number. Coumaphos is not registered for use on bees, hence the term
"Section 18 exemption". The assumption being either A) the product will
become approved and registered  OR B) something else will be found that is
safer. The exemption applies to the chemical so I don't see how an
exemption for coumaphos relates to ApiLife VAR exactly, but if the state
accepts the one they'll probably accept the other.

Is the ApiLife VAR registration in response to failure of another treatment
in the states where the permission has been given?

* Not necessarily. Beekeepers can lobby and obtain approval of a specific
treatment irrespective of other treatments, but the assumption here is that
Apistan is no longer working, coumaphos is too toxic, so another substance
is needed. Formic acid received approval for use on bees in the US but
there were problems with leaky packaging, so it is not available until they
get a better package. In the long run, Formic acid may be the best
solution. I have seen it kill 90% of the mites in a hive and it thoroughly
evaporates leaving little residue. I don't know if ApiLife VAR is
particularly effective. Do you?

NY, USA