From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 20:15:31 -0800
Mark,

Were it my problem I would go the way Al recommended.  Open up the dog
house and carefully cut out one comb at a time.  Brood combs can be
placed in empty frames (lots of descriptions of this around) and honey
combs harvested.  With care you can do it gently enough to save the
queen.  The operation can be a fun learning experience.

The only time I really cut combs from a sizable colony I was laying on
by back under a shed and taking the combs out from almost over my face.
That part was not a lot of fun, but coming out of the whole thing with a
going hive was worth the effort.  Just because.

The possibility of mites is real enough, but that is true of any swarm
any time.  Plus if this hive has been in place for several years, who
knows what you might have.

Tom

--
"Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Tom Elliott
Chugiak,  Alaska
U.S.A.