From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2012 11:00:00 -0400
> I'm not aware of anyone promoting "Bee Boost" to restore any kind of balance.  I think it's a great thing for some specific purposes

Here is an example

Compared to untreated control colonies, colonies exposed from late summer to early fall in southeast Texas to pheromone-laden pouches mounted in 35 mm plastic slide frames demonstrated more frequent foraging trips by worker bees, heavier pollen loads, and a higher ratio of pollen to non-pollen foragers from days 8-36 of continuous exposure. Pheromone-treated colonies also had significant growth in brood comb area and adult population level at a time when untreated control colonies were naturally declining in size.

At the start of the experiment, numbers of adult bees and brood comb
area were not significantly different between control and treatment
hives (Table 5). After 31 days, numbers of adult bees in hives that
received pheromone-laden pouches had increased by 38.5%, while
numbers in control colonies had decreased by 10.7%. Similarly,
brood comb area in pheromone-treated colonies increased by 40.7%,
while it decreased by 24.2% in control colonies.

The results show that sustained treatment with synthetic brood
pheromone released from a single device will increase the ratio of
pollen to non-pollen foragers, the frequency of foraging trips, the
amount of pollen returned to the hive by pollen foragers, the numbers
of bees in a colony and the size of the brood being reared.

Stabilized synthetic brood pheromone delivered in a
slow-release device enhances foraging and population size of
honey bee, Apis mellifera, colonies
Tanya Pankiw, et al