From:
james kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2007 21:46:55 +0000
On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 18:59 -0500, Bill Truesdell wrote:
> Lots of research.
Dear Bill and all

I meant research on the mineral content of honey over the years. It
would be interesting to know if it varied greatly between crops on areas
where no trace minerals were added to the soil to replace those taken,
and areas where the soil is naturally rich (as in volcanic soil) or
where rock dust has been used to replace minerals. Trees may be
different in that roots are deep and wild areas, where there is no
cropping, may show no change same mineral content.
>  You can have natural mineral depletion since there can
> be different concentrations of minerals in different locations. All soil
> is local.
Indeed.

> I would take some of this with a grain of salt, since if we were really
> in such dire straits since 1936 there would be a host of dietary
> diseases directly related to mineral deficiency, but there are not.
> Instead we are in better health than any time in history.
There is a rise in many different states of unhealth, some where mineral
deficiency is implicated. Many are immunity diseases.

> As a cancer survivor,
Me too. And I was advised by an M.D. who had abandoned traditional
medicine for approaches where diet was primary - I was advised to add
carrot juice (for the vitamin - A or E I forget which), vitamin C,
spirulina, and avoid the usual culprits: sugar, white flour and dairy
products, red meat, tea and coffee. I eat organic foods wherever
possible from my own land (an excellent shale/granite soil), from a
local organic farm, or from supermarkets - that is most of my food. I am
personally reassured I get what I need and much less of what might
support the bowel cancer.

My honey is from hedgerows and trees, no agricultural forage except
unpicked cauli left too long. So, I am happy with my honey which is
prized for its flavour.

I am intrigued by the observation that when animals are given the choice
between an organic food plant and an "inorganic" one, they choose the
former.
>  I take much on the Internet with caution since
> much of it is quackery.
Me too. I look for the author's" pedigree!.
>  There are good sites and most are specific disease related etc
I like sites devoted to health. Diseases are many and varied, health is
one. If we lose it and get it back, we prize it. How about
cornucopia.org which I came across by recently mistyping co-cornucopia?

Back to bees and honey. What of modern studies of the mineral content of
honey, selected for soil etc?

Best wishes

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk/beekeeping.htm