From:
jjackgrimshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2019 09:15:32 -0500
I spent my first 20 years in beekeeping as a BEE HAVER.I bought some equipment from my local Root dealer and a pkg of bees.I went though a few cycles of buying bees,watching them build,harvesting honey and finding the bees dead in the spring.Along the way I found an old copy of ABC and XYZ and that helped a bit.Then,in 2000,someone gave me a bag of Gleanings in Bee Culture and I subscribed.I discovered ABJ and subscribed to that also.I learned my state had a bee club and joined.I attended my first Eastern Apiculture Society conference in 2001 and started putting faces to names.It's amazing what you can learn over a cup of coffee,a random seat mate at a meal or telling tales over a beer.I have met other beekeepers from my state,surrounding states,distant states and other countries.I now belong to 4 clubs within 100 miles of my home and am a life member of EAS.I may not attend all the meetings but Marla is speaking in Worcester this coming Saturday.I have a few questions.....So my hint is this:   Get out there!           Subscribe to the bee mags.       Join some clubs.     Ask questions.Don't be an island!Echoing Kristina Williams: The internet is a wonderful thing.Forums,groups,lists,blogs,vlogs and videos.But also research papers,university and extension sites,webinars and Ted Talks.Even some Sam Ramsey music videos.        https://youtu.be/hJywgPQWb8Q A wealth of facts and opinions,some of them even true.Verify the source and incorporate a vigorous BS filter.Jack