From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:13:03 -0700
[ Especially "spring fever" ]

On Mar 19, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Bill Truesdell wrote (in part):

>  I would postulate that the more complex the organism, the more
> complex will be the song or language. Sort of fits with the central
> processor: the more ram, the more it can do.

Allen Dick responded (in part):

"We're really reaching here, but I'm with you.  After all, we are
hypothesizing.  Next thing you know we'll be saying bees can play cards
--  or point to food sources."

    On that point you might all go back to a "tongue in cheek"  letter
by Joe Traynor, published in the October 2000 issue of BEE CULTURE.  I
give you here only one paragraph:

"Scientists in Belgium, using electron microscopes, have discovered
tiny etchings at the bottom of bee comb cells.  At first, these marks
were thought to be random, but careful study has revealed a true bee
language.  The markings are believed to be made by specialized workers
that researchers have temporarily dubbed 'Library bees'."

     The exotic really sells, as evidenced by the fact that some people
swallowed Joe's spoof, "hook, line, and sinker."

												Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner		(805) 963-8508 (home office phone)
967 Garcia Road			[log in to unmask]
Santa Barbara, CA  93103	www.beesource.com/pov/wenner/index.htm

"No one can walk backward into the future."   (Chinese fortune cookie)