From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 22:22:57 +1000
We keep an observation hive in our extracting shed, for our own pleasure and
that of our occasional visitor.  For those who are interested in observation
hive construction, this was designed and built by the handyman of the house
from measurements in beekeeping references and consists of three full depth
frames in a vertical case, with perspex inserts rather than glass.  The bee
entrance is a clear plastic tube about one inch in diameter and 3 feet in
length leading from the top to a hole bored in the outer wall so that bees
emerge well above head height, and also just above a trellis hedge of
jasmine.  Initially we did suspend a string down the clear tube as it
appeared the bees had difficulty gripping the tube for walking up and down.
However after one week they appeared to have the knack or had roughened the
inner surface sufficiently and scampered in and out quite freely.  The hive
has ventilation holes down the side, covered with fine wire netting.
It is normally stored flat against the wall with a chain to add stability so
we observe one side only.

However it is designed so that by simply detaching the entrance pipe and
inserting a wad of foam rubber, I can transport it for display at honey
promotions or for educational purposes.

This is not a viable long term hive as the bees have difficulty in
maintaining a stable temperature and population drops drastically during the
winters, which are very mild in this part of the world (Kangaroo Island,
South Australia).  It is not unusual for us to replace with a fresh swarm
every 24 months or so.
Hive strength is currently only one frame brood.  We have added heavily
candied frames from time to time as food stores.

Nonetheless we are able to observe bee behaviour over long periods of time,
including hive cleaning where 2 or more bees co-operate to remove a dead
body from the hive floor, negotiating it past 3 frames and all the other
bees to carry it up all the way through the tube to the exit.  Some removals
were tackled by single bees who would persevere through failure after
failure to complete the task.

To enable easy queen spotting, we had marked the queen with a blue dot.

On a Thursday 4 weeks ago, a casual glance at the hive picked out the queen
at a glance.  However the blue dot was missing. Then another queen was
spotted on the same frame, both queens pushing their way through clumps of
bees rather than with the usual pattern of bees facing in towards the queen
as she moved through the space so created.  Within the next 10 minutes, 4
queens were observed on the side facing us, one appearing very freshly
hatched (downy and short bodied).  The first 2 queens had shoved their way
through the worker bees to each other and immediately curled to insert
stings.  One appeared to be in a slightly more advantageous position to
sting her rival.  The worker bees appeared to be more of an obstruction than
interested witnesses.  The contest was over quickly and the rivals continued
to parade the combs, seemingly unable to tell whether there were other
queens on the same frame or not.  I did not hear any queen piping.

However the following day, one queen was observed parading while workers
removed the corpse of another.  Again, the bees displayed no attention.

I was concerned as to whether the queen would successfully emerge from the
top of the hive for her mating flights.  Worker bees appeared initially to
be very unsteady finding their way out.

During the next few days the bees notably clumped on one half of the frame,
ignoring the other side. It was impossible to see whether eggs were present
due to the number of bees.

The following Thursday, the queen was noted laying a small patch of comb.
The bees were now in the normal attendance pattern, facing in towards her,
grooming and feeding.  My question as to whether mating had been
successfully consummated remained and I examined the brood frame to
determine whether drone or worker bees were being laid.  It took several
days before I was reasonably certain that supersedure had been successfully
accomplished.  The bees were now clumping on the side of the frame
previously ignored.

Last Thursday, the brood was sealed and the secondary layings are covering
the centre of the outside facing frame.  All brood is worker cell size.

I consider that for a hive of only one frame of bees to raise 4 queens for
supersedure to be a very creditable effort.  It may well be that the queen
will be relatively short lived as she has not received the nourishment she
would have in a larger hive.  However, it may be that she will re-invigorate
the hive and the numbers will build to a viable population before winter
(still another 6 months away).

I wish her luck and a long life.

Betty McAdam

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.on.net/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html