From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 23:55:22 +0100
>>So conservation is fine as long as it benefits humans or makes sense to
>>you?
>Interesting that you say that.  I did not.
>I just said that is when I find myself conserving.  I make no judgement
as the 'fineness' or reasonableness of my actions in that regard.  I was
just brought up that way.  I can't help myself.

Sorry, I was not aware that you were not making considered decisions.

>I think not.  What I think you are advocating is not what you seem to
think you are advocating.  I don't have a problem with people doing
what they like.  Some want to control others and force their prejudices
on them, though.  Is that what I see here?

Yes - from those who import exotic races.

>If so, I've seen the results of such actions and they are almost invariably
a diminishment of wealth, diversity, and opportunity.

Sometimes we must try to do the 'right thing' and sacrifice a little
wealth - although in this case many of us seem to be doing quite well with
A.m.m.
As to diversity, I certainly see that being diminished if a race of bee is
virtually eliminated - and what diversity is left when we throw everything
into one melting-pot?  That must also restrict opportunity if there is less
from which to choose.

>Nonsense!  We all know that beekeepers do not seek profit...
It is true that seems to apply to so many, but we do have beekeepers in this
country who are happy to multiply up bees as quickly as possible in the
spring, split the colonies into nucs and then throw in the cheapest queens
that they can import - regardless of their provenence.  These nucs are then
sold to beginners - and there are so many of the, all desperate for bees -
that the nucs can easily be sold for well over £200.  Our own Ministry Bee
Inspectors tell us that they see so many nucs where the brood has not been
laid by the incumbent queen.

>I hardly know what to say except that the entire history of the
world as far as we can ascertain has been an unbroken series of
disasters ...

Sadly, that is true - but not a good excuse for so-called 'intelligent'
humans to make matters worse.

>I know I sin by not trimming the above, and started to, but it is very
>interesting
and relevant.  I agree with all your points.

Thank you.

>My point is that you are telling the story from your perspective and with
>your bias.

Perhaps that is inevitable, but I really do try to see the other side and do
not regard myself as 'biassed' in the bad sense of the word.  I have taken
the trouble to raed, learn and evaluate for myself.  As a result, I am just
speaking up for that in which I believe - I suppose that is, technically,
bias.

>As a point of interest, I have mentioned that I had bees which needed no
>feeding,
and survived well, but unfortunately -- for me -- did not make me enough to
live.

Sorry that it did not work out for you - but that does not alter the fact
that we are in the opposite situation - very low feed bills, gentle bees,
and crops well above the UK average.

>Stock choice is based on personal criteria...   ...I can hardly
imagine a farmer raising Brown Swiss for meat or running Black Angus cattle
through a milk parlour.

Yes, but with cattle a farmer can keep what he chooses without affecting his
neighbours; not so with bees and there lies the crucial difference.  We see
the same thing with GM crops.

>It also concerns me to hear Brother Adam condemned.  Persoanlly, I am not
>as
impressed as many by the whole tale, as some, but I certainly respect him
as a beekeeper and observer of bees.

I can certainly admire the quality of his work.  In fact I visited him back
in the 1980s.  I just think that he was misguided in what he did and wonder
what might have been had he put so much energy into breeding A.m.m.

Best wishes

Peter
52º11'40.05"N 1º40'25.04"W