From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 19:05:09 -0600
>I am just curious, what would accept as a positive ID? --  "known to be
>AHB"

Like Arizona,  Missouri does not have a state inspector. The three largest
beekeepers inspect each others hives and sign the permits. Granted the
situation is not perfect but with state budget cuts we all have to make
*sacrifices*.

I helped design the rule you speak of. It was pushed for by hobby
beekeepers. After the legislation those beeks were happy. Like in Washington
we had *legislated away* the future AHB problem.

I would *guess* that if an AHB issue would come up that one of the several
full time commercial beekeepers would be called in. Possibly  myself.

If a stinging incident then I would most likely insist the state pay for DNA
testing to confirm (which is what my friend Jerry Hayes suggested when I
asked the question) .

If only to satisfy the beekeeper with the bees my opinion might be enough to
decide to depopulate or not.
If the beekeeper refused then most likely I would bring in another beekeeper
familiar with AHB and if his opinion was the same as mine insist the hive be
depopulated.

If the beekeeper refused and I felt because the hive was a public danger
sitting in his backyard with kids across the fence in the neighbors yard I
would find a way to force the beekeeper to let us depopulate the hive.

I doubt I would have to go so far as forcing depopulation if the beekeeper
listened to what i was saying.

The rule you talk about if I remember correctly leaves the decision up to
the State Bee inspector ( which was Joe Franca at the time). I do not
believe ( but could be wrong as has been years since I read) the rule says
the bees have to be proven AHB. In fact I think that was a part I wrote.

I have more bees than I can handle now and I have no problem with letting
the state depopulate all aggressive hives ( as long as they do not ruin the
comb).

bob

bob