From:
Chuck Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:50:54 -0500
Allen asked and stated: "Wouldn't it be wonderful if the US beekeepers got
on side with us on this and worked to get approval at the same time we are
going through the process?  The cost might be spread out even more
beekeepers, and, in the end, we would all be playing with the same deck of
cards.

C'mon US people.  Write and phone your associations and representaives and
let's all work together on this."

Thanks Allen, it would be wonderfull!  Even though the FDA has a gauntlet
of rules and procedures for attaining approvals and registration of
pesticides which requires time and money -just ask Steve Forrest of Brushy
Mountain Bee Farm - it would be great if someone in this country would
take the ball and publicly announce their intentions. Such action could
very well generate a cheering section which could help put pressure on the
EPA as well as preparation of a loyal customer base.

My personal position in this matter, oxalic acid and the legal
introduction of new miticides, and formalization of new methods of
integrated hive management is quite proactive; however, I have been told
over and over again by MANY KNOWLEDGEABLE FOLKS that the EPA has the
opinion that beekeepers in general are a bunch of unreliable pesticide
applicators because they use homemade remedies, do not bother to remove
pesticides and medications as required, and/or they improperly apply
legally approved pesticides.  Those of you that have been around a while
are more privileged to such conversations than some of the new folks that
may be reading this post. I doubt that anyone on this list would be
involved with such matters so please do not take these comments personally.

It is sad to say that a few folks are able to hurt an entire industry; and
at the same time, I as a very carefull procedural attending beekeeper am
also to blame for not always correcting references to improper procedures
at beemeetings and the like. IMHO the improper use of pesticides in the US
exists and it is quite common.

That said, as long as there are effective ways to apply non-approved
illegal miticides in a less expensive manner, as long as some beekeepers
are uneducated and or lazy in the proper removal of pesticides from the
hive, as long as the FDA does not crack down on pesticide residuals from
honey on store shelves, as long as there are negligent beekeepers this
attitude that exists at the FDA will remain.

It is very unfortunate that such an attitude exists as there are a whole
lot more better beekeepers who go by the book than those few who break the
rules.  Unfortunately the more dangerous pesticides, from the standpoint
of safe handling and application as well as residual amounts in food,
receive the most caution from the FDA.

Never-the-less as Allen and others have written, "we need a toolbox full
of different miticides as well as genetic remedies to combat the Varroa,
and we need development and approval of same in an expeditious manner; our
industry depends upon it!

Chuck Norton
Norton's Nut & Honey Farm
Reidsville, NC