From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:39:20 -0500
>I promised to post media links to the EFB story.

Interesting solutions you have came up with.

Our USDA-ARS researchers have always told us when we find a problem (EFB) in
a yard to treat the entire yard.

Burning did not work in the U.S. as a solution to AFB when used *by itself*
in the pre WW2 years.

Burning might be helpful but  we would simply treat all the hives in
Scotland today with three treatments of terramycin and the problem should be
over in three weeks.

Checking each of 5000 hives and making a determination on each hive is too
slow plus human error might mean many hives which have EFB and are not
showing symptoms *if not treated* could start the problem later.

I started not to give an opinion (but you know me!) but what I would do to
get a handle on this common easily treated and controlled EFB problem is to
apply antibiotics to all the hives.
.
Bees will clean up EFB.

bob