From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 09:06:01 -0700
> This is a very serious statement. More information please.

That's all I have at present. I'm sure more will come out, but you'll have to
keep your ear to the ground.  These issues are a bit sensitive and they tend to
be covered up "for the good of the industry".

> I am surprised that Allen considers adulteration to be rampant worldwide. If
> a New Zealand shipment has been detected as adulterated with corn syrup, I
> trust that investigation of those responsible will be followed up by
> prosecution.

We'll see.  A slap on the wrist is the usual punishment -- when a wink and a nod
is not forthcoming.  The industry always suffers far more than the perpetrator.

> Perhaps it may be productive to review what tests are conducted, and by
> whom, to ensure that "honey is honey".  IMHO this is certainly more relevant
> than the relative merits of "organic" honey as against the honey produced by
> honest producers and packers.

Yup, but the cheaters are always just ahead of the watchdogs.

IMO, adulteration is the biggest worldwide problem for legitimate honey
producers. The amount of cheap sweeteners masquerading as honey swell the volume
by about the amount that is necessary to drive the price of honey down close to
the price of those sweeteners.  A total stopping of adulteration would double
honey prices overnight and solve the second worst problem -- low prices.

allen

http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
---
I had a friend who was a clown. When he died, all his friends went to the
funeral in one car. -- Steven Wright