Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:23:45 PDT
Hi,

I am just back from my hols nad had to wade through a stack of e-mails but
this one caught my eye.  I have always wondered what would happen if
transgenic technology could be applied to honeybees.  I have not seen the
posts that Allen refered to but here goes......

This is sure to generate some interesting disscussions and I'm off on hols
again in 3 days ......

 For those who may be unfamiliar with the concepts, basically genes
(forgein or self) can be inserted, removed or modified.  The fear from the
general public is that the insertion of forgein genes along with antibiotic
markers used in clonning processes may cause problems later in food
chains etc....  I understand these fears,  but if genes relating to antibiotic
restance were removed or not used at all and the modifications involved
adding more of the same bee DNA or removing DNA  would that be
acceptible ?

What would happen if someone discovered a gene that could confer or
help with resistance to honeybees against varroa.  For example, supose
the gene/s controlling hygenic behaviour were found.  Over expression by
adding more copies of the gene or  knocking out any inhibitory control (if it
exists) on the hygenic gene  could produce a super hygenic bee.

we know that  karomones are involved in the relationship between larvae
and varroa mite.  If the attraction between larvae and varroa mite was
removed then a resistant bee would emerge.  Again, by knocking out
specific genes related to larval karamone production by transgenic
methods (note - not adding any forgein or antibiotic DNA) then maybe a
resistant bee could be produced.

Swarming?  what would happen if queen substance could be over
produced by over expressing genes involved, the urge for swarming would
be reduced - bees that dont swarm? good or bad?  not too good for feral
populations.

You have to realize that identifying genes and understanding the complex
relationships between genes and their products is by no means an easy
task and is  very expensive.   Once genes are identified and clonned then
transgenic  honeybees will become a reality, its already been achived in
fruit  flies!

Phil