From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:51:37 -0500
Hello Silvio and All,

Thanks for the post. I will try to discuss your observations and maybe we
can flush out a lurker U.S. researcher .

Silvio wrote:
I investigated many pupa brood I saw lots of them with black abdomen.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking through my beekeeping books and
have failed to find a virus which describes the symptom of black abdomen.
Page 1111 of the 92 issue of "The Hive and the Honey Bee " lists many rare
viruses and only says to see Bailey's work from 1981 for more information.
If you are looking at a virus ( Bob putting head on chopping block to be cut
off by lurking researchers) in my opoinion you are looking at one of the
rare Bailey viruses if a virus..

Another possible senario is you are looking at a noninfectious disorder.
Quote from page 1111 of the 92 edition of the "Hive and the Honey Bee" :
" Most often dead or discollored pupae result from a nonifectious condition.
for a good review of nonifectious disorders of honey bees ,see Tucker
(1978).

Silvio wrote:
 In many AHB I perceived spot  brood and when it were treated with
terramicina the symptoms disappeared.

I did not have much luck treating viruses with terramycin. Possibly others
on the list have had the same success as you. Terramycin is used for  AFB
and EFB in the U.S. and is tossed at about every disease which effects  most
farm animals.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison