From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:18:32 +1000
>> If they carried them to Africa, one could safely surmise
>> that they would have carried varroa with the Apis cerana so
>> Africa should have had varroa occurring in its bee
>> populations long before now.

> Nope....don't think so, for they didn't practice LC
> foundation/comb in their field management

But it is not Apis mellifera that is naturally occurring in South Africa for
example.  The native species are still on small cells and they now have
varroa.  I do not see that the small cell of the native South African
species stopped them getting varroa.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA
Coming to Apimondia in Australia in 2007?