From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 14:11:48 -0500
John Mitchell wrote:

>    I don't see where Drs. Kellum and Ericson have been misquoted. The
> information attributed to them is accurate, is it not? Your argument is with
> the reporter's context and angle, and her lack of a grasp of basic bee
> biology.
Hello John,
Because you asked the question of me on bee-l instead of direct as you
usually do i figure you must be wanting me to answer on bee-l.
I hope all readers read the article. You can read the article at your
corner newstand in about five minutes. The article contains 336 words by
a reporter not knowing a drone from a worker bee. 21 words are quotes
from Dr. David Kellum and Dr. Ericson.
The 7 words from David were "This year its just swarm after swarm.
The 14 words from Dr. Ericson were"They're not out to hunt you down but
any activity could set them off"

 Talking to a reporter is an
> opportunity to teach and inform.

My point is simple and from my own experiance dealing with reporters. As
i said in the original post i do not blame Ericson or Kellum.  Before i
learned i had a reporter interview me for a hour and use two or three
sentances out of text to get the desired effect the reporter was
seeking.
The desired effect of the "Outside" magazine article was to scare people
at the beekeeping industrys expense.  The picture of the bee head was
larger than the article!  John has went to quite a bit of research to
find the article and provide us with added information on AHB.  I
commend you. John even found the article which (i believe)caused
Michelle to write the article for "Outside"in the first place.
I will amend my original post to say Ericson and Kellum were not
misquoted as far as i know but believe the reporter took a couple
sentances from her notes to use make the threat of AHB appear more
sensational.  I believe the picture with the caption: Slingshot: Apis
mellifera scutellata,IN YOUR FACE is further proof of her intentions.
As i said in the first post "I will give all reporters a interview AS
LONG as i get to look and approve the finnished product". If my name is
involved i want the facts represented accurately.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison