From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:00:35 +1000
Hi, all

Smaller areas possibly have less trouble in keeping in touch.  On Kangaroo
Island, South Australia, we have a common interest in protection of the bee
sanctuary declared in 1885 for preservation of the Ligurian honeybee (Apis
Mellifera Ligustica).  Many members have 2 hives only.  Some 3 years ago
there were 19 registered beekeepers on the Island and our current
association membership is 21 beekeepers (we also liaise with tourism,
national park and agricultural associations).

We are affiliated with the State apiarists association (there is also a
rival group through the Farmers Federation) and membership of beekeepers
State-wide is far less (I think Trevor Weatherhead would have accurate
figures so I won't guess here).

About 8 members attend meetings regularly (it is a long drive at night on
bad roads, with kangaroos and wallabies leaping out in front of vehicles).

There are registered beekeepers on the Island who have dropped out of or
never joined our association but whose support can be relied on.
Regards

Betty McAdam

>The question was aimed at USA & Canada, but I offer a UK comparison, I
>can only speak for my county in UK... About 50% of beekeepers are
>members of the county association, although the trend for membership is
>rising slightly.
>
>85% of these beekeepers keep between 5 and 15 hives. About 5% less than
>5 hives The rest being anywhere between 15 hives and a couple of
>thousand (with an average of about 80).
>
>About 20% of the membership attend meetings.
>

>Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
>http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
>Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)
>
>-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l for rules, FAQ and  other info ---

HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]