From:
Mike Rowbottom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:45:29 -0000
On 26 Feb 2007 at 22:10, Gavin Ramsay wrote:

> 1. As far as I can tell, we are not having anything like
> this in the UK, though we must share some factors - such as
> imidacloprid use (which I have to say was the culprit I
> first thought about).  Is there anywhere in the world with
> something similar at the moment?  Any UK beekeepers care to
> correct me?
>Gavin

Hi

We lost about half our colonies in the 2004-05 Winter (out of
about 35 colonies) with some of the CCD symptoms.  The
colonies were just empty of bees, although stores of honey and
pollen were present.  Some of the colonies concerned had been
strong at the start of the Winter.  There was no abandoned brood
that I recall.  The deaths were all in the winter period in the two
months after Christmas.  There was some robbing of the empty
colonies, but it was too cold for much bee activity.

I subsequently sterilised the combs and the  boxes with acetic
acid and reused them-I got rid of all the black and ancient comb-
and have not, fingers crossed, had further problems with CCD
subsequently.

At the time I assumed that the colonies had succumbed because
of a reduced life of the bees associated with virus infections-
although that did not explain the total absence of bees..  The
second half of the preceding Summer had been very poor with a
lot of cold and wet days;  the bees were not in particularly top
class condition going into the Winter.

Hope this may be of interest

Mike Rowbottom

HARROGATE