From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:19:54 -0800
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:* The only defense, in my opinion, is good beekeeping. Requeen with marked queens of non-African stock, kill mean hives, & kill feral hives. Wild bees in the woods have always been a reservoir for disease, and now they are a potential reservoir for African genes. It all depends on the diligence of the beekeeper.

I agree with some of the above and take exception with some of the above.  I definately believe requeening with "marked queens of non-African stock"/  However, a problem here now arises - queens of non-African stock.  A lot of our traditional queen yearing yards are located in areas that have been or are subject to be, invaded by the AHB.  Some of the queens coming out of Texas have produced some pretty hot hives.  Have they been Africanized?  I don't know, hard to tell.  But when you requeen with a marked queen from a reputable breeder and a month and a half later the bees from that hive swarm and attack a tractor mowing a field just across the fence from the hive, you begin to wonder.  From what has been discussed here on the list, open breeding of virgin queens is going to become a thing of the past what with the dominance of Africanized drones in the mating scenario.

I would hesitate to kill feral hives or swarms from such sources.  True, they might be repositories of disease, but if so would become short-lived.  What is true is that feral hives that survive for more than two years has something going for them that enables them to combat disease and infestations, and that is without medications.  That's something I would want to incorporate into my colonies.  Don't just eradicate out-of-hand.  Set swarms of these hives up in separate yards and evaluate.  Good honey producers?  Minimal swarming?  Resistance to mites?  Gentle nature?  Let's look at all possiblities.  Me?  I'm looking for a grant source that would fund my taking instrumental insemination classes and the equipment to go with it.  Any suggestions out there?

Mike   Located in lower Alabama

Yahoo! Photos