From:
Mark Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 21:56:11 +1000
Glad to see someone putting at least a few of the vast resource of used
tyres to good use.  I especially like the "compression scale effect" for
getting an idea of how full the hives are.  Although in the northern parts
of Australia hives need to be elevated to prevent cane toads from eating the
bees, I would be loathe to use this type of stand (assuming there is a gap
between the bottom board and the tyre) for a couple of reasons - firstly
because the tyres catch and store water which would allow mosquitos to
breed; and secondly, if I were a snake looking for a nice warm hidy hole,
what better than a black, windproof & weather proof tyre!!  We generally use
two 4"x3" planks raised on concrete blocks or metal stands.

Mark Hayward
'Doctor Rock's Honey'
Brisbane
Australia