From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:20:45 -0600
> We have posted on our web site a video of AHB behavior, filmed in TX in
August of this year.

I hear a lot about AHB, and because of various discussions, have begun to
wonder just exactly what an AHB is.  People speak and write quite glibly
about AHB -- as if we all know exactly what AHB is -- but what exactly is
AHB?

Does the 'One Drop' rule, formerly applied to humans in the days of
apartheid in the US and in SA apply here?  Assuming that we can identify an
AHB individual, if one drifts into an EHB hive, does that hive then become
an AHB hive?  If not, then at what level does the hive become AHB?  If
there is one AHB hive (see above) in a town, then is the town africanized?
How about the county in which the town is located?  The State?

As I understand it, there are a number of genes that are unique to and
which distinguish the species of bees that are native to Africa, from the
bees that were originally native to Europe.  How many of these uniquely
African genes must be discovered in a bee for it to be deemed AHB?  One?
Ten?  Is the reverse true?  If one distinctly European gene is found, is
that bee then EHB.

Can a bee be EHB and AHB at the same time?

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/