From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:57:31 -0600
I said:
I am using a hundred of the 2005 Purvis Brothers "Blue Line" Russian/Russian
queens for my drone source colonies this year.

The above is not quite accurate so needs correction. The queens I am getting
will be open mated in an area of both Gold line and blue line drones in
Georgia which I do not have a problem with. So many most likely will be a
hybrid but not all.

If I had elected to wait another month Purvis could have supplied
Russian/Russian from his north Georgia remote mating yards.

Because I will be grafting and raising my own Russian/Russian in May I could
not wait.

 I needed the replacement drone source as I had to pull the California queen
breeders *so called Russians* (talked about in prior post) from the drone
pool. If the California queen breeder had grafted as he said from a
Russian/Russian queen then the drone source would have been Russian but he
did not so they are useless  as far as my Russian program is concerned and
are now  sitting many miles away but will still be used for honey
production.

I said:
 I am using one of the 2004 Purvis Brothers instrumentally inseminated
breeder queens I brought back from Georgia to graft from.

The queens I graft and raise and mate to the *early* Purvis Brothers 2005
Blue line Russian production queens  (does not matter which drone source
they were mated to Blue or gold line) will produce Russian/Russian stock
since the drone does not have a father but a grandfather.

AND

Unlike the California queen breeder I am using a pure Russian queen
instrumentally inseminated myself with the semen from a pure Russian drone
to graft from.

Also to keep up to date with the USDA-ARS Russian program  Purvis has
purchased a 2005 Russian breeder queen from Charlie Harper to graft from.

Bob