From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 09:53:42 -0800
Lloyd Spear wrote:

>2.  "Aren't you just taking the pollen from them to give it back later? Why
>not just let them store it away for later themselves?"
>
>A few thoughts:
>
>A.  If you are establishing a new hive or new nuc, a pollen patty is one of
>the best things you can provide.
>
> Hello Lloyd , Mary and All,

  Spring build up is very critical to success during the season. Good
pollen is essential for larva food..
 I was popping the tops off of some of my hives yesterday. They are in
great shape. I noticed a bee
with pollen on its legs.
It was Alder pollen. Wow , you might think that was great. The fact is,
Alder pollen is missing two amino acids
and will  Not  keep a larva alive. So not all pollen is equal.
  I only do fresh pollen. I freeze it. I keep some aside for the bees in
the spring for feed.
After last year , I keep the pollen for the bees first then sell what is
left.
 This year I will be getting more pollen traps.
 Beekeeping is putting what the bees need before them and let them do
the rest.
Best Regards
Roy