From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:30:01 -0500
Dave wrote:
> Are you suggesting in flight mating as with "normal" queens?

 Anderson disected a huge number of capensis laying workers to see if any
spermatozoa was to be found. Anderson has studied capensis as much (i
believe) as any researcher. Why else would he look if he didn't believe that
might be the answer. Anderson (1961) wrote no spermatozoa was found in any
sample.
Research done on other insects led to bee researchers to see if a. mellifera
worker (other than the cape bee) could lay a fertile egg and the egg grow
into a normal queen. Through much trial and a lot of error the feat was
accomplished. So our own bees are capable of the feat just like capensis if
put under certain situations. I could provide researchers names and dates
but bottling honey today and need to get back to work. I might add to the
post later.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri