From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:40:17 -0600
Hello Kathy & All,

> trying to change the AHB? Make it more docile?

All the researchers I have spoke with are not interested in breeding
programs using AHB. In doing research for my last article I went back fifty
years of articles on AHB in ABJ & Bee Culture. Some of the predictions of
30-40 years ago by researchers were way off what really happened. Others
were right on.

Basically I learned a 25% or less AHB is workable. With the higher percent
of africanization *usually* comes a higher amount of what the average
beekeeper sees as undesirable traits. Aggressive behavior is not the worst
AHB trait commercial beekeepers worry about.

AHB genetics are a mixed bag. AHB could certainly be improved through
selection and instrumental insemination. Most U.S. commercial beekeepers
believe the best  AHB control is to keep your queen stock free of AHB
genetics. Open mating with AHB can (and does most of the time) produce hot
hives but your drone stock is still E.U.

Once you get AHB genetics in your queen line then your whole apiary will see
a rise in AHB undesirable traits within a few generations of AHB drone
matings.

The three most undesirable known AHB traits for the commercial beekeeper
would be constant swarming (up to 16 times a year), absconding ( in periods
after a honey flow)and aggressive behavior.

Hawaii & Australia could hold the key for AHB free genetics. Some of us are
looking years ahead into the future of beekeeping. Others have got their
head stuck in the sand.

Allen Dick once said on BEE-L about progress.

" You can lead, follow or get the hell out of the way"

Bob