From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:50:23 -0500
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>However I think his work has been misquoted and miss understood, the
>main thrust of his work was testing out the theory that acarine
>(tracheal mites) had a harder time infesting bees that had been raised
>in small cells.

Dave,
I was referencing this study listed below that about the 'influence of
Small-Cell Brood Combs on the Morphometry of Honeybees'
not the tracheal mite study.

But please tell me, whatis miss quoted or miss understood about his
statement in the abstract that says:

“Until the late 1800s honeybees in Britain and Ireland were raised in
brood cells of circa 5.0 mm width. By the 1920s this had increased to
circa 5.5 mm.”

=====>

The Influence of Small-Cell Brood Combs on the Morphometry of Honeybees
(Apis mellifera)"

"Abstract - Until the late 1800s honeybees in Britain and Ireland were
raised in brood cells of circa 5.0 mm width. By the 1920s this had
increased to circa 5.5 mm. We undertook this study to find out if present
day honeybees could revert to the cell-size of the 1800s..."

http://www.edpsciences.org/10.1051/apido:2006041

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'