From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:36:42 -0400
Bob writes:

It seems Randy has ruled out her hypothesis judging from his last post and
has possibly found the cause of ccd like symptoms. I would actually love to
see a beekeeper solve the issues so we could give the 4.1 million in
borrowed funds back

What is killing bees? Nobody has ruled anything out (except space aliens, rapture and cell phones). Neither I, nor anybody I know, has pinned the blame on any one thing.

But if you take bees sick with varroa and virus, dump homemade concoctions on them, and keep them near agricultural fields, how can you possibly say neonics killed the bees? You have to have healthy bees, add one variable, and study that to reach such a conclusion.

Any number of things are making the bees of today difficult to keep alive. It is you who is keen on singling out one factor as the *main thing*, not me. That is what I am objecting to. In an effort to simplify the situation, too much is left out.

Am I an expert on neonics? Nope. Why would I be? I have read everything and weighed the credibility of the arguments and the messengers. Sure, Bayer has a bias. So does Dave Mendes.

Does Marie-Pierre Chauzat? I can't see what it would be. A scientist's job is to find out, not persuade. Persuasion is the stock and trade of politicians, lobbyists, and advertisers. I am none of those. All that interests me is sustainable beekeeping.

Peter Loring Borst
Ithaca NY  USA