From:
Bob & Char Hack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:11:17 -0800
Thanks Peter for posting this info. I based my info on spring queen catching  (qualified by 'right?') from http://www.transtronic.ch/hp/e/insektenvernichter/wespen/wespen.htm - about halfway down. I realize this is a commercial site, but their references include the one you used (Social Wasps, Rentokil Library). I have to yet buy Edwards book, so as of now I do not have enough understanding to question the 9 in 10,000 survival ratio. That ratio however SEEMS highly suspect from observations in my local. Any ideas on what different methods could be employed (not too complex please) to roughly test this ratio.

You also mentioned "According to my trap supplier, it is crucial that traps never allow any wasps to escape as they will then recruit more to the food source." The way I see it (in my feeble little high school  drop out/non-scientific mind)  is that it IS important that the others get lured back to the trap. For example: if 1 out of 10 escapes, then brings back 10 more, of which only 1 escapes then we have 9 or 10 less wasps - more or less. What am I missing here?

Cheers, Bob - getting wiser by the post!