From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:39:48 EST
In a message dated 12/22/00 8:56:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Could you talk a little more about the heat exhaustion you talk about when
>  moving hives.  I'll be moving hive in the summer too and have not heard
>  anyone talk about heat exhaustion yet.

  Your legs get wobbly, you get a headache, nausea; when really bad, you see
things that aren't there and can black out, in which case you need help or
you may not survive. Solution: plenty of water (before you are thirsty), pace
yourself; take pediatric electrolyte. Some sports drinks are supposed to have
electrolyte replacements, but pediatric formulations are more concentrated.

   Because of the heat here in South Carolina, I sometimes do get sick and
for this reason do not have string or zipper veils. My wife makes my veils of
black tulle, and uses a strip of elastic to keep them closed at the neck.
This means they can come off quickly when needed. (Throwing up thru a veil is
NOT fun!)  They also cost only a couple bucks each.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com