Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:59:20 EST
Some years ago I was required to give a talk, which is not a thing I am good
at.  I drew the graveyard watch (after lunch when people are inclined to nod
off).  I chose to give my talk based largely on the bee dances plus a little
product sampling and entitled it as above.

I persuaded the audience to get off their rumps and perform bee dances to
indicate a nearby and then a distant floral source as seen through the
windows of the room.  It is probably just as well that they didn't stray onto
the lawn outside as the location started out as the County Lunatic Asylum and
it may have caused comment.  It went down well.  People stayed awake, enjoyed
the experience, learned a little and may even buy some honey occasionally as
a result.

In the light of Adrian Wenner casting doubts on von Frisch's hypothesis how
should I change my talk if I ever repeat it?

Chris Slade