Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:51:18 EDT
Coleen,
Don't start a forest fire, burn your hives, or make your bees mad by using a
propane torch.

As you know, I tend to be blunt:  Why use a product like Fishers, that is
certainly
not well known.  If it was better than others, the bee researchers would have
approved it, and the bee supply dealers would be selling it.

I personally despise BEE-GO, which is butyric anhydride, and that odor is
something
you can never forget.  Honey Robber, sold by Mann Lake, is Bee GO mixed with
a strong scent of cherries, but it still STINKS.  Both work fine in
temperatures
of 80° and more; but OH, THAT SMELL!

However, for 30-40 years, I have used Benzaldehyde with is commonly called
the oil
of almonds, and it has a lovely smell.  It works just great and maybe at a
lower
temperature than Bee-Go.  The problem is that the Federal license to sell any
of these products is so ridiculously high that most bee equipment companies
only sell one product, and that is Bee-Go.  Only Mann Lake sells
benzaldehyde, but their
smallest quantity is a gallon, which would be enough for several thousand
colonies.
MannLake has two local dealers in Michigan.  Why don't you try them and see
if they will sell you a pint?  They are Blossomland Supply, 1-800-637-5262 at
Berrien
Center down near South Bend; and Groeb Farms, 517-467-7609 at Onsted.

As I recall, you are somewhere near Cadillac.  Maybe Mann Lake could tell you
more,
and their phone is 1-800-880-7694.  I just hate to see you beginners get
"hoodwinked", when reliable, proven, and endorsed products are out there for
sale.

I hope I have helped.

George Imirie - keeping bees in Maryland for 69 years
EAS Certified Master Beekeeper