From:
Rex Boys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:08:06 -0000
Knowing nothing about the computer software which you chaps are going to
use, it occurs to me to ask whether it just has a single tuneable filter or
whether it can also do band-pass and high-pass filtering.

The apidictor was a simple instrument designed solely for assessing the
state of a hive with regard to swarming. On one position of the switch, you
heard all the nurse bees' tones between 225 and 285 Hz. at once.  Can you do
this with a computer or do you have to tune through the band? (in which case
you would not hear a warble)

Similarly, all the components of the loyalty hiss are above 3,000Hz so the
apidictor blocked off all the frequencies below that figure. Can the
computer do this?

It is my impression that using the computer is tantamount to using a
sledgehammer to crack a nut - but if a sledgehammer is all you have then
that is the thing to use as long as you don't crush the kernel  in the
process!

As for Jerry's wish list, I think you have to distinguish between what you
need to know and what you would like to know. My no.1 question would be,
"Are the bees still there or have they been rustled overnight?"  Next would
be to know whether they are planning to swarm and after that whether any
supers are full and ready for extraction.  What you have to avoid is losing
the pleasure of actually going and looking for yourself.

Rex