From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:40:53 -0500
> I believe if all they have to do is print the
> word "organic" on their label

No, there's quite a bit more to it than that for
anyone packing any organic food product.

> Paper trails exist of packer purchase of "local honey" &
> "organic honey" but many packers label many many times
> the amount they buy

It would take some pretty awe-inspiring ignorance to
think that organic producers and packers are not expected
to keep an end-to-end paper trail and withstand audits.

> as both because there are no label police.
> They are on the honor system.

Reading the actual organic regulations may provide a
different perspective, as would speaking with any of
the authorized certification entities.

We are slogging through the process of getting a USDA green
dot for a USDA Organic version of Bee-Quick, and while most
of the requirements set out in the USDA Organic program
certainly are the most pointless scheme to pop up since
someone bolted two wheels to a pogo stick and called it a
Segway, they are very very picky about not only having a
paper trail, but making you show that the numbers add up,
down to the number of bottles in each batch, and the
amount of ingredients acquired to make that batch.