From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:05:34 -0400
>A reading of this paper makes one realize how little we actually know about the actual
mechanisms of bee breeding and parasite resistance.  ... perhaps we should take a good,
hard look at our assumptions as to the best way to breed bees.

on that note:

> Epigenetic mechanisms have vast potential to contribute to natural gene regulation.
Although epigenetic mechanisms help to protect cells from parasitic elements, this defense
can complicate the genetic manipulation of plants and animals. Essential for normal
development, epigenetic controls become misdirected in cancer cells and other disease
syndromes.

source
Epigenetics: Regulation Through Repression
Alan P. Wolffe,  Marjori A. Matzke