From:
Scot Mc Pherson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:16:23 -0600
>> The bars on my  TBH but together and this works for me, but what do I
know?

Free air colonies are more common in africa, however even in the USA in
warmer regions building a TBH like they have with slatted top bars is
not big deal. So long as you provide a cover either loose with attic
space, or tight to protect from rain and other falling debris,
everything should be just fine. However, one of the advantages of closed
top bars like you and I use provides an extra layer of protection from
defensive bees. By covering the whole hive with solid bars, the bees are
much less aware of your presense and so their defensive mechanisms
aren't so ready to trigger.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
The Mc Pherson Family Honey Farms