From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:17:59 +0000
Tom,
Ireland being on or near the end of the infection line would suggest
that the mites causing the infestation have come from an area that was
already using "chemical" control.
Therefore an increased possibility of ready occurring resistance in the
population.
(I suspect in areas that had infection but in which the mite traveled at
unhindered speed as it spread might have allowed the mite to advance
ahead of resistance - the Irish sea/St. George's channel would possibly
slowed the mites progression England/Wales, or however it crossed).

Ready resistance would be more of a potential problem if the mites were
brought in directly from a European mainland country.
Therefore the reluctance to start using IPM as techniques to control
V.d. is shortsighted.

Resistance in the mite to chemical control will not kindly wait until
the moment is opportune for beekeepers! And whilst parity is awaited,
the beekeeper in the far corner who has just gained is unwelcome lodger
will be matched by many others suffering for a fair period of time and
having great difficulty in control.

IPM is deemed less attractive as a solution as it requires a more
proactive methology - but I suggest that it results in a more observant
beekeeper who has a greater awareness of what is happening to his/her
bees - not only regarding V.d. infestation.

Commenting on being overwhelmed by mites due to re-infestation
- IPM by definition maintain population levels at or under damaging
levels.
Beekeepers who do not keep their hives clean from my point of view
should not be allowed
to keep bees!
- as much as it is totally against the law to keep other domesticated
stock in
conditions liable to cause infection in neighbouring stock.
I presumeV.d.is a notifiable infestation. And if so, the the authorities
should be
there to help those trying to control it! (Head in the clouds again -
but as
you may guess from other mails, I hold the belief that we beekeepers are
the
cause of many of our own problems due to lax attitudes in the area of
control.
The authorities won't worry as long as we don't.)
It would be interesting to know what work is being or would be
undertaken in Ireland to determine the presence and extent of
resistance.
Will the Island repeat the same procedure already mapped out in the rest
of Europe?

My thoughts,
Peter
Indre