From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 06:46:55 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 10:46 AM
Subject: [BEE-L] Small Hive Beetle

 Hello Tom and All,

>I know that some American beekeepers  have had to put up with this >latest
pest for about four years and that  Coumaphos seems to give >adequate
control.

Those wishing to get first hand information on the small hive beetle can
find first hand information on the Florida Beekeepers list. I get most of my
information from Florida bee inspectors and Florida commercial beekeepers
but the list  has over a 100 posts from small to large beekeepers explaining
their own problems with the SHB.

A recent post by a Florida beekeeper which works with a commercial
beekeeper.
Posted on the Florida list by William Lewis:

"I will say that I have done just about everything possible to keep the
small hive beetle at bay." "Spraying the ground, traps, etc., but to no
avail. A waste of time and money".

Mr. Lewis's post is typical of the frustration caused by keeping bees in
areas of SHb infestation. If you dislike cleaning up a dead hive taken over
by the wax moth you are really going to dislike cleaning up a hive slimed by
the SHB. The small hive beetle causes in many cases the bees  to abscond.The
SHB travels with the swarm to the new location.

Posted by Herb of the Florida list:
"The swarms I'm talking about are free hanging. Freshly absconded, usually a
day or two. and before they found a permanent home. Adult beetles were with
the bees in the swarm."

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

*Lurker* on the Florida list. Raised in Florida and started beekeeping in
Florida. Parents lived  in Florida until passed away. Frequent visitor to
Florida and may return to Florida to stay in the future.