From:
Marc Studebaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 07:50:37 -0500
Allen Dick wrote:
>* Another is whether 24 hour old larvae are *that* much better than 36 hour
the
>larvae that are acceptable by some authors (or the 48 hour larvae that
Steve
>Tabor suggests the bees choose). I submit that in many cases the difference
will
>not be detectable in the field.

    I have followed this disscussion with interest because I raise some
queens for my own use.  I have no insight but do have some observations and
comments.
    When picking up some queens at a southern breeder a year ago I toured
their operation. In the grafting room they told me they routinely select
older larvae because they are easier to seeand to move without damaging
them.  I was astonished!  All I had read on grafting suggests that the
youngest larvae must be used.  I was sure these queens would fail.  But to
my suprise they headed productive colonies and wintered well.
    In a May 1999 article of Bee Culture Kim Flottum wrote about how Adee
Honey Farms produces over 40,000 queen for splits and requeening of their
operation.  They use larvae that are two days old.  I was suprised that
editor Flottum made no comment on this.
    When raising queens I try to use young larvae. To do this it is
recomended that the breeder queen be confined on a comb for 24 hours then
the queen removed from that comb.  Three days later grafting should be
done. --- It seems to me that depending on when the queen lays the egg there
could be as much as 24 hours difference in the age of the eggs on the comb.
In other words, if the egg is layed when first confined on the comb or if
the egg is layed just prior to the queens removal could make a days
difference in the age of the grafted larvae.  There are ways to minimize
this age difference such as checking and removing these combs every 12
hours, however I doubt that most queen breeders have the time or follow this
procedure.  Tell me if I am wrong.
    I continue to use what I think is the youngest larvae possible for my
queens, but it seems that others have had success doing otherwise.

Marc Studebaker
Geneva, In.