From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 06:11:20 -0600
> > "But getting stung regularly is important to prevent allergy..."

> I wonder - is this a fact? What i heard somewhere (could be another
> one of those old wifes tales in the beekeeping community) is that
> those stings add up and you could get stung regularly for years and
> suddenly you get an allergic reaction and you have to start looking
> for a new hobby/job.

AFAIK, this is latter situation is very unusual.  Once again, allergies
are not well understood, and can appear and disappear for reasons that
are not known.  I know of no cumulative effect of bee toxin, and AFAIK,
bee toxins have no cumulative effect on liver or kidneys when
experienced in sub-lethal doses.

What is known, however, is that people exposed to the dusts associated
with beekeeping, such as family members of beekeepers, are in high risk
of developing serious bee sting allergies unless they are stung with
reasonable frequency.  What is 'reasonable frequency'?  I don't know,
but several times a year is the minimum.  Monthly in the working season
is better.

I know of two beekeepers in Alberta who lost wives to a single bee sting
and countless (non-beekeeping) family members of beekeepers who are
seriously allergic.  My son was allergic, at one point when he was
small, but went though a series of shots and even went into beekeeping
for a few years, before he moved to Rhode Island to raise a family and
program computers.

I know of no beekeepers  -- counting only those who were serious
beekeepers and who worked with them often, getting stung in the
process -- who have become allergic to bees.  Do you?

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/