From:
Karen Oland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:39:14 -0500
-----Original Message-----
>From: Bill Truesdell
>
>Some trials were run in Maine using powdered sugar...
>There were mites in every hive but the rolls did not pick them up.

I am sure this is one of the reasons that the researchers at the TN state
bee meeting recommended a natural mite fall count only - they said that
ether roll and sugar roll both could give false negatives, even with
significant infestation.  Natural mite drop, however, seemed to correspond
directly to the actual infestation of the hive.  Actual numbers they
recommended to use for treatment are, I am sure, in the archives from around
last fall.

K. Oland