From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:40:19 -0400

queenbee wrote:

 > Have a look at www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/HBE/05-159.pdf

Thanks for all the links to the various studies. Basically they say that honey can have other anti-bacterial ingredients
and some more than others. That is also true with glucose oxidase concentration. It can vary with honey sources (and
processing).

Of particular interest are the last few paragraphs of the study.

To date, the only research on the antibacterial activity of Australian honeys is a small study by
Wootton et al. (1978), which found that five of seven different floral sourced honeys did possess
antibacterial activity. This activity was heat labile which suggests that the antibacterial activity
present was due to hydrogen peroxide.

Considering the findings reviewed above there is sufficient evidence to suggest that honey may be the
treatment of choice in wounds of all kinds. However, proof of efficiency in randomised scientific
trials is lacking. More work in this area is clearly justified. However, few institutions are willing to
conduct and finance such trials.

The current investigation was undertaken to establish the antimicrobial activity of a large number of
Australian honeys from a wide range of floral sources and diverse geographical locations.

Unquote

In addition, the article noted "In all the medical reports on the antibacterial and healing properties of honey, there
has been little information given about the specific type or selection of honey used." And then went on to the findings
of additional anti-bacterial agents in the AU and NZ honey.

In essence, what I understand from reading all the articles is that the key mechanism in the use of honey as an
anti-bacterial healing agent for topical wounds is still that which has been noted in the literature for years:
supersaturated sugar solution, glucose oxidase which yields hydrogen peroxide and gluconic acid, and a physical barrier.
That is in line with the fact that all sorts of different honeys from around the world (including Maine honey from my
colonies) have been used effectively for wounds (cuts, abrasions, ulcers, burns and other open-skin problems). It also
tracks with the comment in the study about the tested AU and NZ honeys, "This activity was heat labile which suggests
that the antibacterial activity present was due to hydrogen peroxide."

This is not to take anything away from the additional anti-bacterial activity of the AU and NZ honey. But I look at it
as an add-on that is nice to have but not necessary compared to glucose oxidase which is essential.

For me, the key is more than the anti-bacterial activity at the wound site: type of honey and its additional
anti-bacterial agents, acid conditions, hydrogen peroxide, and super-saturated sugar solution. The key is the cleansing
properties of hydrogen peroxide that gets rid of everything in the wound area except living flesh. Honey maintains that
condition, since glucose oxidase comes in contact with moisture from the wound and converts at the honey wound interface
to acid and hydrogen peroxide. In essence, you have continuous action by the honey over a long period of time to
maintain a sterile, clean wound. So the wound heals from the bottom up, not the top down.

I witnessed just that when I treated my hands with my doctor's permission (the second time he was a true believer and
was discussing it with his peers). You end up with little scar tissue and almost no sign that you had a serious
operation. Plus, you gain full use of your hands quickly. I documented the progress of the healing with pictures (the
beginning ones are gross) which my Doctor has used to show honeys efficacy.

For me, there is no doubt of in the use of honey as a wound dressing almost in spite of the source, but the key is
glucose oxidase (which means a high glucose nectar source or plenty of time for the bees to convert a sucrose nectar
source and proper processing).

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine